Sunday, July 08, 2007

July 4th Week-end



I have grown food! My cucumber plant has produced two cucumbers, and I am so proud of myself that I had to memorialize them :-) We had them for dinner, and they were quite good I might add. My tomato plants are really big, and are covered in tomatoes, which I guess will all ripen the same day. I'll blog those when they are ripe. Since I don't really eat tomatoes though, I was more pleased with my cucumbers.

We had a fun week-end overall. Yesterday we spent the day at the Hite/Edelen family reunion at the Hite's farm at Helsinki. I was almost there when I realized that I had forgotten my camera, so I have no pictures from the day, but basically it was about the same as the normal camps, except for a huge amount of food and more people. Madeline had a big time. In the evening they had their traditional fireworks show. As I have told many of you, don't imagine a few fireworks like we may have seen as kids. We called the event "Thunder Over Culvertown" because it was HUGE! Remember that these guys have their blasting licenses, so they are able to put on a show. I was thinking that the fireworks show was bigger than the ones we used to watch at good ole Jessamine County High (I'm not exaggerating here). It's kind of interesting because there is no sound system, so you just hear the blasts and the echoes, plus all of the kids either crying or saying "that one is my favorite, no that one is my favorite". Madeline was scared at first again this year, but was pretty OK by the end. We got to ride our 4 wheeler too, so that purchase has been a good one too. Madeline and I got up this morning and went back (after Madeline slept until 10:00), and hung around until around Noon.




Steven spent the entire day working like a pack mule moving dirt with a borrowed wheelbarrow to level out a spot for our pool. After literally hours of manual labor, we are now working on filling the pool, and it looks like this:



As of about 10:30 pm tonight, it had water in it up to my knees, so I am staying up late trying to fill it as much as possible before I go to sleep (hence the long blog :-) Hopefully, by the end of the day tomorrow, we'll be swimming! Thank you to my sweetie Steven! Madeline and I are very excited....

I am off this week for some much needed rest, and Madeline and I have lots of fun plans. We were going to Atlanta, but for several reasons we have decided to to go. So, instead we are going to Hubers Orchard and Winery tomorrow with Dad, we plan to see a movie, and are going to do a day trip by ourselves either Tuesday or Wednesday. Then Steven has off Thursday and Friday, so we are off to Mom & Dad's cabin. I am looking forward to some serious rest (both mind and body).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the cucumbers! I am jealous. Someday I want to have a nice mom-like garden.

The fireworks sound incredible! Good for you!

I am excited that the pool is coming along. I am sure that you'll have plenty of fun times in there.