Thursday, May 29, 2008

Last Day of Kindergarten

Madeline has grown up so much! Today was Madeline's last day of Kindergarten. I can't believe that the year has gone by so quickly. All parents say that, but my goodness it is true! I wish I could bottle this day and keep it forever! Here's a picture of her today:



She has learned so much this year - now she can read, add and subtract, she can recite the pledge and explain the symbolism of the flag, and she's a pro at school!

Here she is on the first day of school:



She looks so much bigger now! And you can definitely see the difference, she was so nervous that first day - look how her little hands were clasped together. It makes me sad, and glad :-)

P.S. I had to add a little post script - Madeline cried when she went to bed because she was sad to finish Kindergarten. She said "things will never be the same again"! I know how she feels for sure... I guess Rebecca is right, she's a lot like her Mom. I told her that First Grade would be exciting and she'd love her new teachers - her response was I don't want different, I think things should always be the same. So, she's had one of her first taste of that life long lesson about change. It will always come, even if you don't want it to. I hope to teach her that things usually get better, not worse, and we should look forward to tomorrow and trust in God.

4 comments:

Our Family said...

You're right she has gotten bigger and braver:) Now on to first grade...she will love it.
Glad you all got to visit this past weekend.

Unknown said...

Oh how I had to swallow hard reading this post. So well said...by you and by her! She clearly is learning a major lifeline about change. Very cool and very sad.

That first day picture just gets me! She is getting to be such a big girl. It is a reminder to hold her close and enjoy every little crazy minute of this big life.

Windsor House said...

This is an excellent post. Madeline has grown so much and is so intelligent! You and Steven have given her an excellent foundation on which she will continue to grow. She is still a little girl and will always your baby regardless. Janet and I are very proud of her!
Love you Guys
Dad

Angela and Jay said...

Love the first and last day of kindergarten pictures. She really has grown! First Grade really is a great year. I loved teaching it!

I know how she feels about change... I feel that way to sometimes.