Sunday, June 08, 2008

FORTY Years Ago Today

Oh my, do I feel badly right about now! My parents were married 40 years ago today. Did I remember this momentous occasion? NO! Not until I turned on the computer and saw Dad's Blog Post - (I'm not good at links - click the link in the right hand column for "Dad's Blog"). Forty years is an amazing achievement! Mom and Dad are blessed with a marriage which is still strong - it's funny sometimes to think of your parents as a "couple". This morning (before she remembered it was her anniversary) Mom and I were standing at their cabin - and she looked up and saw Dad riding up on his 4 wheeler. She got this cute little look and said "Look at him" - I realized that she thought he was a cutie :-) This morning I thought something along the lines of "how sweet" - now that I have registered what a big day today is for them her reaction hits me even more!

Did they have a big party - no. Did their too busy kids remember their day - no. But, they had a day, 40 years after they married, when they hung out with their kids and grandkids, they relaxed at their cabin at the lake, neither of them is sick with a major illness, they have never divorced (or even come close to it as far as I know), and they still love to spend time together. You really can't ask for a better 40th anniversary than that, can you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know, I know! I felt so bad!

Happy Anniversary to them!

Angela and Jay said...

Wow, 40 years! That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Most marriages can't survive 40 years...much less thrive for that long. Your parents are an inspiration.