Monday, April 02, 2007

Good things from bad; and, our Sweet Mammaw


Although I won't go into it here, most of you know that last week was a very rough one for me and my family. I have learned a lot though. My cousin Stephen Baker is a minister in a Church of Christ Church. He gave one of the best funeral sermons I have heard this week-end. We were truly blessed to be able to hear him speak. I learned that I have some absolutely wonderful friends, who came offered help when I needed it most. Most particularly Keith and Michelle, and Margaret and Sean, who took care of Madeline for us. They weren't the only ones by any means though who provided help, love and support. I also got a vivid reminder of what a great family I have come from, what a kind and supportive husband I have, and what a good family I married into. I saw my Dad hold my Mom's hand with love and devotion, and my Mom gladly accept it. On a happy note, I saw a fabulous sonogram of our family's newest addition.

Now, I need to tell you about the strongest woman I know, my Grandmother. In our family she is lovingly called Mammaw by everyone, young and old. She has lived through so many good and bad times, yet through it all she has remained a truly good woman and the rock upon which a huge family rests. I have said many times that I have gone to school for a long time, and learned a lot of things, but I have learned more from her (and from my Mom, which comes from her) than I did at school. I learned how to rise above adversity, how to raise a child with love, how to trust in God, how to look at the world practically rather than niavely, and how to press on with your head bowed low when necessary. I also learned what it takes to be strong and to pick yourself up. When she lost her husband, she raised the kids she still had at home (4 boys under 10 years of age I believe) by herself. She never asked a Man to help her, she worked hard and made a happy, loving home. She told me once that she had people flat out ask her if she would give them her two babies (both now great, gentle men, who are two of my favorite in the world). No way would she ever abandon one of her kids. Then she lost her son to illness, yet somehow survived to give the rest of us love. Lately she has been battling illness and has refused to give up living on her own, now she has to live through the most senseless thing of all, losing her son to violence. Please pray for her, she needs it.

Through it all she has been strong and has carried the rest of us forward. Now she needs us to carry her, and no one could be loved more than she is. So, I have posted a picture of her here with Madeline, Thanks for reading this long post. And most of all, thanks for your prayers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, now tears are rolling down my cheeks. I just signed on to try to post something about this past weekend, and you did it perfectly. I was in a daze yesterday, but that has passed this morning, and I am processing it all.

As you said, this weekend was VERY sad, but it was a gift too for all the reasons you shared. What an incredible example of family and faith.

If you don't mind, I am going to copy your perfect song and post idea.

Love you very much,
Rebecca